# Paperback: 400 pages
# Publisher: Packt Publishing (October 31, 2008)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 1847195466
# ISBN-13: 978-1847195463
Java EE 5, the successor to J2EE, greatly simplifies the development of enterprise applications. The popular IDE, NetBeans, has several features that greatly simplify Java EE 5 development, and this book shows you how to make use of these features to make your Java programming more efficient and productive than ever before. With many features and great flexibility, the Java developer can become overwhelmed by the options available in NetBeans, This book helps you get control of the environment, and make it work for you so that you can concentrate on the important parts of your application.
This book takes you through the most important parts of Java EE 5 programming and, with clear, careful instructions and screenshots, shows you how to use the features of NetBeans that will improve your development experience. This book will not only show you time-saving tricks, keyboard shortcuts and other productivity enhancements possible with NetBeans, it will take you through the major Java EE 5 APIs and how to get them working in the NetBeans environment.
While focusing on NetBeans features, you will learn about developing applications using the servlet API and JSPs, including taking advantage of JSTL and developing custom JSP tags. Developing applications that take advantage of JavaServer Faces is also covered in detail, including how to generate standard JSF applications from an existing database schema. The book also covers how to easily develop elegant JSF applications by taking advantage of the NetBeans Visual Web designer.
What you will learn from this book?
* Develop Java web applications by leveraging NetBeans functionality
* Build standard JSF applications by taking advantage of NetBeans features
* Integrate NetBeans with third-party RDBMS
* Develop JavaServer Pages (JSPs) to display both static and dynamic content in a web browser
* Visually develop aesthetically pleasing JSF web applications with the NetBeans Visual Web designer
* Quickly and easily develop applications taking advantage of the Java Persistence API
* Implement the Model-View-Controller design pattern by using JavaBeans as the model component
* Take advantage of NetBeans functionality to easily develop Enterprise JavaBeans, including configuring transaction management via annotations
* Use static and dynamic navigation to define navigation between pages
* Utilize NetBeans to easily add messaging functionality to enterprise applications, through the Java Messaging Service API and through messag-driven EJBs
* Develop web services using NetBeans, including exposing EJB functionality as web services
This book takes you through the important parts of Java EE 5 development and, with clear, careful instructions and screenshots, shows you the relevant features of the NetBeans IDE.
Who this book is written for?
The book is aimed at Java developers who wish to develop Java EE 5 applications while taking advantage of NetBeans functionality to automate repetitive tasks and to ease their software development efforts. Familiarity with Java EE 5 is not assumed.
About the Author
David R. Heffelfinger
David Heffelfinger is the Chief Technology Officer of Ensode Technology, LLC, a software consulting firm based in the greater Washington DC area. He has been architecting, designing, and developing software professionally since 1995, he has been using Java as his primary programming language since 1996. He has worked on many large scale projects for several clients including the US Department of Homeland Security, Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae, and the US Department of Defense. He has a Masters degree in Software Engineering from Southern Methodist University. David is editor in chief of Ensode.net, a website about Java, Linux, and other technology topics.
High Speed Download:
Java EE 5 Development with NetBeans 6